FURTHER DETAILS RELEASED FOR THE PRINCE OF WALES AND THE DUCHESS OF CORNWALL'S
VISIT TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
At the request of the British Government, Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will make a four day visit to the United States of America from 17th – 20th March, 2015. Their Royal Highnesses will undertake a broad range of engagements to promote the UK's partnership with the United States in key areas such as sustainability and climate change, creating youth opportunities, encouraging corporate social responsibility and promoting historical and cultural links.
On Wednesday 18th March in Washington DC, The Prince of Wales and Global Ocean Commission Co-chairs, David Miliband and José María Figueres, will address a gathering of representatives from major companies, leading environmental organisations and government figures brought together to consider what action might be taken to address the growing threats posed by marine plastic waste. The event will take place at the Hay Adams hotel, Washington D.C. The meeting, which is being convened by The Prince of Wales's International Sustainability Unit and the Global Ocean Commission, aims to facilitate consensus and build momentum toward solutions on this growing challenge.
On the same day, The Duchess will visit the Shakespeare Theatre Company where Her Royal Highness will tour the theatre, meet staff, children who use the theatre and then view a short production by the company’s Text Alive! programme. The programme helps students and teachers to develop their knowledge and understanding of Shakespeare through a series of workshops. Students then apply what they learn through designing and rehearsing a scene from one of Shakespeare’s plays. In the evening Their Royal Highnesses will attend a dinner to thank donors and supporters of The Prince of Wales's U.S. Foundation, hosted by Mrs Joe Albritton, Chairman of the Foundation.
On Thursday 19th March, The Prince will visit the Carlos Rosario Public Charter School, which provides education and training for the adult immigrant population of Washington, DC. The Prince will meet staff and students at the Harvard Street campus as he tours the literacy and cookery classes.
On 20th March in Kentucky, Their Royal Highnesses will attend a Cultural Festival hosted by the Governor of Kentucky and Mayor of Louisville at the Kentucky Center for African American Heritage Center. The Duchess of Cornwall will visit Neighborhood House, which is a community center serving Portland, one of Louisville’s oldest and most diverse, but also most impoverished communities.
Her Royal Highness will also attend a reception for patrons and supporters of Brooke USA at Churchill Downs. The Brooke is an international animal welfare organisation dedicated to improving the lives of working horses, donkeys and mules in some of the world's poorest communities. They provide treatment, training and programmes around animal health and wellbeing, operating across Africa, Asia and Latin America. The Duchess of Cornwall became the Brooke’s inaugural President in 2006. Her Royal Highness has visited the Brooke’s work in Pakistan, Jordan and Egypt, and has regularly attended events in the UK.
Notes for Editors
The Prince of Wales has visited the United States of America in an official capacity 19 times since 1970 (21 including private trips). The Prince of Wales's last visit to the USA was in May 2011 when his programme included a call on President Obama at the White House and giving the keynote speech at a conference on sustainable agriculture at the Future for Food Conference at Georgetown University, Washington DC - http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/media/speeches/speech-hrh-the-prince-of-wales-the-future-food-conference-georgetown-university
The Duchess of Cornwall has visited the USA officially twice with The Prince Of Wales (2005 and 2007). Their Royal Highnesses' visit to the USA in 2005 was their first official overseas tour conducted jointly as The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.
For more information about The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visit www.princeofwales.gov.uk.
Media wishing to accredit for engagements in Washington and Louisville, please complete the online form at the following link:
List of announced engagements
- The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will meet President Obama and Vice President Biden at the White House.
- The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit the Armed Forces Retirement Home.
- The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visit to Mount Vernon.
- The Prince of Wales will mark the 800th anniversary of Magna Carta during a visit to the National Archives where he will view the "Charters of Freedom" and the 1297 version of the Magna Carta, which is embodied in the American Bill of Rights and the Constitution.
- The Prince of Wales will be honoured by the International Conservation Caucus Foundation (I.C.C.F.) with an award for Exceptional Leadership in Conservation.
- The Prince of Wales will attend an event about the reduction of plastic waste in the marine environment.
- The Duchess of Cornwall will visit the Shakespeare Theatre Company.
- The Prince of Wales will visit the Carlos Rosario Public Charter School.
- The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a meeting of the District of Columbia’s Sexual Assault Response Team (S.A.R.T.) at the Department of Forensic Sciences in Washington D.C. S.A.R.T. is a coalition of 12 public and private community agencies working together to serve victims of sexual assault and to engage in educational activities to prevent sexual assault.
- The Prince of Wales will give a keynote address to an audience of health practitioners, business, faith and community leaders about links between health and the natural environment.
- The Duchess of Cornwall will visit a food literacy project for young people at a local farm. The project also offers young people an opportunity to experience life on a farm in order to help increase their knowledge of the connection between food and farming.
- The Duchess of Cornwall will visit Neighbourhood House.
- The Duchess of Cornwall, President of the Brooke, will attend a reception for patrons and supporters of The Brooke, Churchill Downs.
For more information on Her royal Highness: WWW.PRINCEOFWALES.GOV.UK
For more information on Brooke USA: Brooke USA | Who We Are